Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Amanda and Chanderise

So service week is under way... and I can't even put into words what it is like... but I will try...

Every day this week we travel about an hour outside of Cape Town to a small village/township known as "Sir Lowry's Pass"- for the first couple of hours we hang out at the primary school with tons of the children.. We play sports, dance (they show us the moves), and do arts and crafts. I'm part of the sports team. Then our group is divided into teams of about 6 and we are each assigned a different family for the week- these families have been working with us for about 5 years, and literally wait every year for this week to circle back around. I am assigned to Mrs. Hannie's house- she has 5 kids and 2 grandchildren. It is a house full of love and laughter.

As our bus pulls into the township each day the kids literally chase after us and are waiting at the door to all pile onto us as we step off... Quickly there are kids hanging from every limb of our bodies, and the love is instant.

Yesterday, I spent the day with two little girls, Amanda and Chanderise. They are cousins- one is 8, the other is 5. They braided my "yellow" hair and we played soccer, until it began to rain. Then they taught me the latest "Patty cake" rendition. Their favorite song is Diamonds by Rihanna- and they knew every word. It was so awesome to me that we connected over little things like that. As we head back this afternoon, I hope that they will be waiting to tackle me down once I get there!

Chanderise (5) and Amanda (8)
Another amazing thing-- I met a little boy named Bradley yesterday- he was 9 and plays rugby. I told him about my brother and my dad and how they all shared the same name. Though he was extremely shy and wouldn't' really talk to me, he grabbed my hand and wouldn't leave my side. It was so great to see the little things like this connection that can really make a difference. I have to get a picture with him today! He wasn't up for it yesterday..... not too different from my own brother.

Everyday it is so hard to say bye to these kids and not know if you will see them the next day- It is only day 2, I can't imagine what it's going to be like on Friday, when it's the real good bye.

Will keep updating!
xoxo
Liv


1 comment:

  1. This is the part of the trip that I knew would be life changing for you! Enjoy each minute with those precious kids and absorb how thankful and happy they are for the little things.....playing with and having you young adults to care for them. Bring a smile to all their faces each day....like you did mine when I read this blog!
    Life is Good!
    Love and miss you, Mom

    ReplyDelete