Sunday, June 2, 2013

World Cup to Cupcakes... and some things in between.


Moyo ("Hello"),

Once again… I really need to shorten the time between posts, because then I have way too much to write about and share.
One of Nelson Mandela's wardens at Robben Island

So last time we “talked”, I had just gotten back from Robben Island…


One of the cell blocks at Robben Island






Locked up abroad 













Our next adventure was about a 2-hour drive to Cape Point, which is the southern most tip of Africa. It was awesome… minus the overcast weather. But the views were incredible- we got dropped at cape point and then hiked up to the top.


Southern Tip of Africa- closest to Antarctica 
That afternoon we went to Boulders Beach, which is known for an abundance of African penguins just lounging in the sand and riding the waves. They were so funny to watch! We didn’t get too spend as much time as we hoped though because the rain caught us. Mom, you would’ve loved them! 




One afternoon we decided to tour the stadium where the World Cup was held in 2010- I had been waiting to do this since we got here because the stadium from the outside was ginormous! We got to go in the locker rooms, private boxes, and get close enough to the field to get yelled to back off because you aren’t allowed to touch the grass. The stadium was awesome! I didn’t know a ton of concerts are put on there as well: Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, and Justin Beiber have recently performed... Rihanna is set to perform in October.
At the World Cup Stadium (2010)

On Thursday, we traveled about an hour away to a small town in the wine country of South Africa, Franschhoek. We spent the day at “Haut Espoir” a small family run vineyard and learned about the entire process of wine making and selling. The owner is about 6’6”which gives name to his famous blend, “The Gentle Giant”… This was such a fun day!
 



The "Gentle Giant"himself

Friday we went to the Green Market, which is an outdoor flea market type place to get jerseys for the local Rugby game that we were going to on Saturday… the market was interesting, as we were literally followed around the corners, begged to buy whatever they were selling. We got our jerseys and decided to move on. We went looking for this other market that was opening for the first time that day and instead we found literally a freak circus… It was not what we expected. We watched a guy in a samurai costume put on an “act” pretending to chop popcorn with his sword… it was interesting to say the least.... On another note... Oprah's all time favorite bakery in the world is here in Cape Town, Charly's Bakery, so I was going to be sure I made it there before the end of the trip- and it was just what I hoped (Maxie B's times ten.. minus the pumpkin choc chip option)... but I quickly went with the Red Velvet cupcake! 




Saturday it was time for the Old Biscuit Mill again, I had been waiting all week to go back and do some more exploring… and stuff myself as much as possible. I went for the caprese omelet once again, couldn’t resist it after the first time. We all shared bites of mini pancakes again! 

That afternoon was the rugby game and we had a traditional “braai” before (African barbeque/tailgate)… the weather stunk but we still went out to the game and it was a lot of fun! People still get just as rowdy. Talk about a rough sport, this was intense. I tried to follow along but was very confused. GO STORMERS! 


Rugby Game- Cape Town Stormers

 This week we will be in the townships everyday- I have been looking forward to this part and can’t wait to invest myself in these kids, I know that their contagious smiles will make the early mornings completely worth it! I will update soon (sooner than last time) with the events from this week and pictures of the kids who are stealing my heart!




With love from Cape Town,
Liv
xoxo

(here they just say xxxx)... 

1 comment:

  1. I continue to enjoy reading your posts and seeing the pics and pretending I'm there! (I wish) You have kept so busy and making the most of your time in SA. Bradley liked the pic of World cup stadium .... i want a penguin! So your remaining weeks will be your best....I know you have been looking forward to working with the kids in the village and getting to know them and make a difference. I can't wait to hear all about it. I think you are there as I write. And then the "Adventure Week"!! OH Boy! I dont know if I'll sleep that week. Continue to learn, laugh and love.....continue to write and share pics. Be safe! love and miss u. Mom

    ReplyDelete